<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

Connecting to Non-Oracle Systems

I have also this morning uploaded a quick how to on Setting Up Generic Connectivity. This document is a step by stem guide to Oracle's generic connectivity, which is a free - but little known, database feature for connecting to non-Oracle services. The official documentation (this is the 9i version) details some of the restrictions. Generic Connectivity has 2 advantages over Oracle's Open System Gateway products (purchase here).
  1. It enables you to connect to any ODBC datasource for which you have a driver and
  2. It is free. The full featured products cost $15k per computer (US list price).

4 Comments
4 Comments:
I should have mentioned of course that on Unix you may need to pay for the ODBC driver itself.
 
Niall,

I'm not intimately familar with the Oracle architecture, so please forgive the newbie comment. I just installed Oracle 11g, and I'm trying to set up generic connectivity as outlined in your document. However, it looks like the ODBC drivers required are no longer installed with the database. Do you have any hints / tips for how to get this working under the new 11g version?

Thanks!
Scott Powell
 
The ODBC drivers get installed with the windows database only - on a unix/linux platform you need 3rd party drivers.

On windows the default install of 11g does install the odbc drivers.
 
Niall, apologies again, there must be a piece I'm just not understanding. In the .pdf you put together, under section 2b, it speaks of

"Program name should be HSOLESQL if you are using OLEDB for a
Database (i.e not the text driver). For ODBC it should be HSODBC – this
corresponds to the executable in the oracle home bin directory."

The piece I'm very unclear of is where it mentions a program called HSODBC - I can't find HSODBC*.* showing up anywhere under the Oracle 11g windows installation.

Sorry again for the confusion in understanding your documentation - but I suspect something has changed under 11g.

If you'd like to respond to me off list, I can be reached at powels14@nationwide.com

Thanks you!
Scott
 
Post a Comment