<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Top 20 Mistakes 

Thanks to the surfer who visited here looking for a picture of Rachel Carmichael (yes, she's beautiful; no, I don't have pictures), I rediscovered her top 20 mistakes a dba can make on search Oracle(registration required). If you are interested I've only made 9 of them, I feel quite smug really. (Number 10 tomorrow I expect).

Anyway mistake 19 reads
Don't script anything, and don't save or document what you've done -- you'll never need that stuff again anyway.Famous last words that could turn into your infamous last day.

which is all well and good. I however have spent 3 extraneous days rebuilding a test system from live following all the scripts the guy who originally did the rebuild made. That's 3 separate imports of the same inconsistent database export. grrrr. So my corollary or expansion, make sure that you document in the script what the script is doing and how and why and make damn sure that if you run it repeatedly it prompts for the things it expects to change each time, and fails if you don't supply them.

1 Comments
1 Comments:
Heh, heh...someone just took to documenting and scripting a little too seriously but not thinking.

The corollary should include "remember to remove from the scripts the parts that doesn't work".

I think one that is missed is "Make changes to production databases without testing". It's a minor and simple change, just do it and avoid all the hassle and effort of testing and promoting from testing to production.
 
Post a Comment