<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

10g Manageability 

10g includes some very significant advances in both manageability and diagnosis. Most of these features are exposed both through the Enterprise Manager product and internal PL/SQL APIs.

However, should you be a Standard Edition customer, then these features are largely unavailable to you. In fact, Oracle Database 10g EM removes functionality that was available in 9i to all customers.

I believe this to be wrong. All customers should have the same choice of tools for managing and monitoring their databases and applications servers. In fact, I strongly believe that smaller customers are more likely to require the hand holding and expert system advice that EM offers than large ones. I make my case at slightly longer (3 pages) length here.

As a result I suggest that Oracle Corporation amend its policy on EM packs as follows.
All EM packs should be available to all customers at the same cost

If you are an Oracle customer, or thinking of becoming one, and you agree that all customers should get the ability to effectively manage their Oracle systems regardless of license, then please sign the petition.

7 Comments
7 Comments:
Maybe it should make the functionality available at no cost?
 
Maybe it should make the functionality available at no cost?
ROTFL!!! Oracle...No Cost... I love it!!
 
Now, now, Jeff, I'm glad I made you laugh, but of course I'm referring to instrumentation functionality, not all of Oracle.

All of Oracle should be $100/seat (grin and duck).

(Phillipe Kahn said all enterprise software should be $100/seat at a conference I'm-not-sure-offhand-how-many-years-ago).

There should be no charge for general instrumentation. Extra-special doodads, maybe. Maybe not in personal or developer editions. But really, Oracle should provide tools to monitor the database, this self-tuning claptrap is ripe for backfire. If you want an old Beetle with a broken speedometer, buy SQL-Server. We want our 787 Dreamliner! Or at least a Standard Edition 737 with most of the same instruments. Larry can keep the Russian trainer.
 
I too would prefer the instrumentation at no extra cost. That said as EM competes with added cost monitoring tools like quest etc, it seems to me that for most organisations the small additional cost would be easily justifiable.
 
oh and developers above all need the instrumentation. Give em all the tuning, explaining advisory tools you can. That would be my motto.
 
D'Oh! Of course developers need the most instrumentation!

I guess the distinction I missed making there was, operationally you can use the pretty GUI with all information available, while developing you need all the information available in a linear recordable format. What you don't want is statistical sampling that hides issues.
 
what means
"error 503 following "manageability"
 
Post a Comment