<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 01, 2005

HTMLDB Errors 

I got a question just the other day regarding problems with HTMLDB. Specifically the questioner had followed a perfectly sensible installation guide, but was getting a 404 error when trying to access HTMLDB. I replied
most likely cause is that the listener isn't running, or that the database isn't registered with the listener. .
This is a great example of how not to answer a technical question.

A better answer would be

1. Check the logs from your application server, these will contain the error message that the application server is encountering.
2. If you are using the companion CD then these logs will be located at $ORACLE_HOME/Apache/apache/logs where $ORACLE_HOME is the home of the Application server that you are running.
3. In my experience though the most likely cause is ......

In other words offering guesses or opinion based on past experience is no substitute for actually offering the information necessary to diagnose the issue. There is a place for offering common experiences, but not at the expense of true troubleshooting. Not my finest hour.

3 Comments
3 Comments:
I did the same thing myself the other day...
 
Niall:

Have you been reading my forum answers ? :)
 
"that little tom kyte devil on my shoulder" ... So Tom is on the devil side of your shoulder? :)

Here's a link to Tom Kyte's blog on this topic:

http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2005/06/how-to-give-answer.html
 
Post a Comment