<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Oracle seem to employ smart people. 

No, really. I know if you've engaged a support analyst in fruitless conversations this can occasionally seem hard to believe. Still.

Oh, what you wanted evidence as well? I'm afraid its that HTMLDB team again.not fit, shoelaces, tie. rearrange this into a well known phrase or saying and apply to me.

It so happens that HTMLDB engage a guy called Tyler Muth (this is either a made up name or he is American - who can tell). I've never met him, and likely never will. Anyway first up he contributed a hugely useful comment to Lisa's new oracle newbie blog. Here is what he has to say on learning Oracle
VM Ware is sooooo key IMHO. You can create a base Linux or Windows image and save it off. Then install the database into it. If you make a major mistake, no problem, just grab the clean image you created and try again. As you start installing more "stuff", you can really make a mess of your machine. VM Ware contains the mess, makes it portable, and makes it easy to start over.
. Now I happen to think, having installed Oracle 8,8i,9 and 10 on various boxes in various semi-competent ways, and then having had to clean up afterwards that that tip is worth the price of entrance alone.

Now if you were following this blog earlier, then you'll know that, rather like many dbas I don't have the highest opinion of OEM there has ever been. (and EM10G needs to get the licensing bug sorted). But not content with the above advice, in the same post, Tyler adds
I'm also a fan of the stand-alone version of Enterprise Manager (pre 10g) as a learning tool. Instead of digging for hours for the solution, do it in EM but press the "Show SQL" button. This way you learn what's going on under the covers
. simple, straightforward and rather sneaky thinking in my book.

And finally, I refer you to this post on the HTMLDB forum showing just what can be achieved with cheap hardware and creative use of software features.

Then I turned on the resource manager and put a pretty restrictive policy in place. I believe any query that takes over 10 seconds gets dropped to 1% CPU, anything that takes over 30 min gets killed, anything estimated to take over 2 hours gets killed as soon as it's issued. This one of the most under-utilized db features I know.

4 Comments
4 Comments:
"This one of the most under-utilized db features I know"

and also one of the least documented ones, with an admin interface that positively "sucks" (at least in 9i)! It's a pity. I'm with you: it needs a lot more exposure.
 
RE: Resource Manager

I've said before that it's the forgotten DBA tool:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/ResourceManagerEnhancements10g.php

In 10g it's much simpler to use, but like all technologies you have to know what you're doing. Dropping the priority of a session that's holding locks can stall high priority sessions, defeating the object of your resource management. I learnt the hard way :)

Cheers

Tim...
 
Tyler occasionally popped up on Mr Kyte's site (no, not the blog, the other one ;-) ) - I think he picked up some of the web questions for Tom, also did the Firefox search pluging for AskTom
 
OK, you've had your two weeks. Lets get a new post!!!
 
Post a Comment