<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Commentary and comments. 

Thanks to Gabe on Tom Kyte's blog I became aware that blogger now attempts to stop spambots by the use of word identification. I've enabled this, and also enabled anonymous comments again.

More to the point one of the things that came out of the Undocumented secrets debacle was the problem of rating good bad or indifferent web pages. David Aldridge pointed us towards stumble upon. This tool (its a browser extension for Mozilla and IE) appears to offer a good first step to dealing with this problem. Basically it allows you to positively or negatively rate sites, and appears to offer the ability to comment upon articles that wouldn't otherwise be commentable on.

We'll see how it goes - I'm not sure corporates will like it and it could well get abused - but it certainly seems like a good first stab. You can get it here for IE and here for Firefox/Mozilla.

3 Comments
3 Comments:
stumble-upon rocks and rolls. I like it just to discover a new random web site every now and then.
 
stumble-upon is great. Thanks! Although I'm wondering about how stumbly it is, as the third thing it gave me was that colour perception page Tom posted not long ago... out of all the pages on the net... Where to point people who say their terminal is making them blind
 
That color perception page was found by stumble upon for me - that is how I found it :) It is in the list of places to go.
 
Post a Comment