<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Recap on Licensing 

In passing Howard mentioned Oracle 10g licensing in this blog entry. In his words It seems to me the 10g licensing is all over the place on this one where this one refers to the premium content in EM, or Enterprise Manager packs as they are sometimes known.

As this is about the third posting I have seen recently on this issue i thought I'd recap the situation I described earlier. The official word on licensing can be found at the licensing docs for 10g here. In short
  • You can't use them with SE at all - the management advantages they bring aren't available to SE customers

  • You can't query various views without paying extra

  • You can't run various reports awrrpt.sql for example without paying extra


  • My own personal view is that describing the licensing as being all over the place is extraordinarily charitable here. Ludicrous springs more readily to my lips. I can just about concede that a sql script might be premium content, but one you create yourself? The idea that if you have a smaller environment you won't ever need to do performance tuning or diagnostics (but might have a need for database clusters) is quite frankly mad.

    It would seem appropriate to point out the petition I put together earlier on just this subject. At the very minimum Oracle should make all manageability functionality available to all users on the same basis. if you agree with this and haven't yet signed please do so. Oracle are aware of this petition and I will raise it directly with them should we get 100 signatories.

    0 Comments
    0 Comments: Post a Comment