<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Respect 

A couple of things got me thinking about this this week. The first was a discussion on Oracle-l, but really it could be any forum, about RTFM replies and if the list should be split in 2; one for newbies and one for experienced dbas.

The second was Sandy's posting about grumpy old men (and women). She, correctly in my opinion, identified a problem that we have as a group of professionals. Namely that we are percieved as being old-fashioned, closed-minded and stroppy. Mogens has jokingly described the Oak Table as being a club for such individuals, it wouldn't be much of a joke if there wasn't some truth to it.

In response to my contribution to the first list I got a response that quoted the old adage respect has to be earned. Sandy's posting generated a small discussion on Eddie's blog in which a comment was made about people from two different mindsets not respecting each other, and correctly in my view stating this was a mindset problem and not a role issue - though one might argue that some mindsets suit some roles well.

My position is this. The adage respect has to be earned is entirely false, at least in the professional arena. I'd replace it with this. respect once lost is very difficult to regain. Everyone is entitled to respect when you first engage, discuss and so on. Everyone - no matter how daft the question or their position may appear to be. It may be however that over time the same individual shows no appetite for learning, little understanding of argument (as opposed to debate) and limited thinking. Then, and only then, they are in danger of losing my respect.

3 Comments
3 Comments:
A bad reputation is earned. Kindness is always deserved.
 
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is one of my best things.

I think we are confusing Respect (To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.) which I believe does have to be earned especially in the professional arena - with courtesy (Polite behavior) which doesn't have to be earned but should always be our starting mode when engaging/discussing.

Chris
 
Nothing wrong with being pedantic when you're IMHO spot-on!
:)
 
Post a Comment